Sunday, October 16, 2011

"The time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted."

That quote about wasting time is from John Lennon. He allows me to see that Strawberry fields really do last forever. I don't know what that exactly means. I just wanted to add a lame joke. Basically, this post is about 7 things I have done to "waste" time.

1. Chinese Acrobats. Yup, I bet you didn't expect that one to be first on the list; however, it was one of the coolest things I have seen. The National Acrobats of the Republic of China came to perform at our school. I attended and was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Matt says I have "yellow fever." No words can do justice to how extreme the performance was. The biggest question of the night was "how?" How do they do that? How do they fit 24 people on one bicycle? How do they juggle humans? How many years have they practiced this? How do they not fall? How do they Come Together? (Scratch that last one-- just wanted to add another Lennon Joke) How tall are they? How are they so cool? How am I so incredibly lame? Etc. Needless to say, it was a success of a night.

2. Pumpkin Spice Lattes-- love me latte. Fall is a great time of year. College Station has not obtained the beautiful fall weather yet, but I am sure it is on it's way. In the meantime, pumpkin spice lattes will suffice.

3. Visiting Home. This was such a joy! I decided to take the 3 hour drive to Colleyville last Saturday. It was the first time I was able to visit home since the beginning of school. It was great to be greeted by my parents and my puppies, along with Saturday football snacks. I am convinced I have the coolest family. Also, see number 4.

4. Halloween Treats. I was bombarded with a Halloween basket, cookies, and treats for my roommates by the Mothership. This epic basket contains: a Halloween kitchen towel, hello kitty dressed for in her costume, pumpkin carving stickers, a light-up lantern, Halloween ribbon, window clings, chocolate, and pumpkin post-it notes. Mothership also put together delicious cookies and a Halloween s'more package for my roommates. Mothership is also a term of endearment. Precious.

5. Studying, kind of. I think my favorite part about studying is the camaraderie of fellow studs, or study-ers, and the "delirium point." Rule number one of studs: They always stick together. There are countless times the night before a test where I have received a text message from a fellow stud saying, "I'm not going to study," or "I'm going to fail," or just profanity. Studs bond over the fact of  the mutual hatred for tests. Rule number two: They never want to study. Studs will do almost anything to not study. My friend, Allison, was studying for an Organic Chemistry test. How did we avoid studying? We sang a song. This song was not a cool American Idol one (those are cool, right?), but instead it went something like this...

"O Come All Ye Gases
diatomic wonders
O come ye oh come ye
calls Avogadro

Come all ye moles
6 x 10 to the 23rd
O molar mass and molecules
O volume, pressure and temperature
O molar volume of gases at S.T.P."

Cool, I know. That song right there also sums up the "delirium point." This is the point where all your actions should not occur in any social setting, because you will embarrass yourself. Low Point: Allison and I sung that song in the middle of a coffee shop. No shame.

6. Intelligence, or lack there of.

  • "Smart" Phone: Shannon upgraded her phone to the new IPhone. This phone has a voice activation feature which allows you to ask questions, such as "Where is the nearest movie theater?" or "Call ____." We used it for entertainment. The applications name is Siri. We asked questions to Siri for about an hour. Easily amused. However, when we said, "I love you" to the application, Siri simply answered, "I am only here to serve you." Yes, we got turned down by a piece of technology. 
  • Fence, or not: We got new neighbors this week! They ran into our fence with their truck! There is a huge hole in it. I guess they just really wanted to have a way to communicate with us at all times. 
  • Singing for a Salutation: This is how we make new neighbors. Shannon is an excellent singer. I was studying outside on our porch and Shannon was singing inside. A group was walking by our house and heard her singing. They looked at our house awkwardly, laughed, and then approached me to chat. We are great friends now. Kudos  Shannon.

We are smart.

7. Pi Phi Dad's Weekend. Pops came into town this weekend to watch the Baylor game. It was an awesome weekend. Friday, the roomies and our dad's all went out to eat together. It was great bonding. On Saturday, we went to the A&M vs. Baylor game. This was an awkward game for the fact that A&M alienated Baylor to go to the SEC. Baylor threatened to sue us. We won 55-28. Even more awkward. Our student section started chanting "SEC" towards the end of the game. They also hung a banner over the side of the student section saying, "thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's conference deal." See below. After that game, we just relaxed. It was nice to spend some quality time with the pops. All of the dad's are great friends now. All you need is love, right? Kidding, i am still just trying to have a successful John Lennon joke.

"Wasting" time is the best.

Have such a stellar week. Love.


Psalm 16:11 
For You will make known to me the path of life, 
In your presence is FULLNESS of joy, 
and in Your right hand are pleasures forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment