Thursday, September 15, 2011

I am Thankful for...

...the mess to clean up after a party 
because it means I have been surrounded by friends. 
...the taxes I pay 
because it means that I'm employed. 
...the clothes that fit a little too snug 
because it means I have enough to eat. 
...my shadow who watches me work 
because it means I am out in the sunshine. 
...the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot 
because it means I am capable of walking. 
...all the complaining I hear about our government 
because it means we have freedom of speech. 
...that lady behind me in church who sings off key 
because it means that I can hear. 
...lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing 
because it means I have a home. 
...my huge heating bill 
because it means that I am warm. 
...weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day 
because it means that I have been productive. 
...the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours 
because it means that I am alive.
-- Nancie J. Carmody

This week was one of those hectic weeks. You know the weeks where you buy 2 cups of coffee a day on average? The guy at Starbucks knows my schedule, my name, and what I order. You know the week where every thing that could go wrong within the span of 3 minutes does and you can't do anything about it but sit there and laugh at how ridiculous life is? Yesterday, I was running out of the house to host interviews for an organization. I changed really fast, grabbed my bag, tried to hit the light switch off and failed 4 times and hit the wall instead, ran around the corner and fell out of one of my shoes, slid into the counter, put my shoe back on, grabbed my coffee, spilled my coffee down my shirt, changed my shirt, ran to my car, forgot my keys, tried to find my keys, put my coffee on top of the car, forgot my coffee was there and started driving, the coffee fell off the roof of the car and spilled...again, so i sat there and laughed. It was one of those weeks where "simple joys" were the highlight. For example, eating cookie dough every night, sneezing more than 4 times in a row while everyone looked at you, the first scoop of peanut butter out of a new jar, laughing so hard that you are make no noise at all, realizing you are going to be in the background of a picture and smiling at the last second, Christmas music in September while you are studying for a test, etc. -- That kind of stuff. It's the good stuff. 

I realized that, yes...life is hectic, but that's the beautiful thing about it. I've become more content than ever in finding the beauty in every little thing, which is cool. Do I know what I want to do with my life? Nope, but I realized that's okay. Sorry parents, i'll make something up in the meantime. It's the beauty in the journey to where Christ will lead me. There is a quote that basically says to write your life in pencil, because the Lord is the one that will erase it and write it with pen. I noticed that wherever God has me is the safest place for me to be. This week I was asked the question, "Why are you in college?" I have asked myself this several times and I know I have challenged my mom and dad with this same question. I have always just wanted to go out and help others and never understood why I just stayed in this environment. If you look at it from another direction, you realize that you really are constantly surrounded by God and you are constantly studying Him. Yes, I am studying calculus and still think it is the only subject where "you can buy 60 cantaloupes and no one asks what is wrong with you," but He created that in the first place. So when it comes down to it, I am studying what He created and the beauty in that. Basically, I am constantly learning about Him through my studies and should relish in that fact. By studying history, I am studying what Christ created. How cool! I realized the importance of taking a step back and really being thankful about what I have. When tasks seem so overwhelming and unmanageable, I remember the phrase ASAP. 
Always
Say
A
Prayer
It's a ridiculous life, but that's the beautiful thing about it. This is what I learned this week. I also tried to learn about journalism: american mass media, Interpersonal communication, and intercultural communication because I had tests in those. I am still going with the philosophy of the "greater education." It helps the self-esteem. 

"Every good and perfect gift comes from above..."
-James 1:17 


I hope you all are doing wonderful. 
Let me know and we will set up a skype or phone date. 

Miss you, dearly. Love you more. 




No comments:

Post a Comment